How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
Today’s pondering was at Psalm 119:9-16 NIV, let me share what spoke most today.
Verse nine of this chapter start’s with a question “How can a young person stay on the path of purity?”
The psalmist gives us a clear response.
- By living according to God’s word. ( Verse 9)
- Seek the word with all heart ( verse 10)
- Hide the word in the heart ( verse 12)
- with our lips recount the laws/word ( verse 13)
- Rejoice in obeying the statutes ( verse 14)
While I have I read this passage over and over again, today was of a different highlight.
I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word. Psalms 119:15-16 NIV
Meditate, Consider, Delight
Staying on a path of purity is a life long journey and battle. In the deepest sense purity is integrity, which means whole. The purity of our being demands us a whole, phyically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. How do we then stay on the path?
We meditate on the precepts of the Lord, Joshua spoke to the Isralites at Joshua 1:8 “Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.”
- Is meditation of the scripture part of your daily schedule?
- Are you taking the time to let the word simmer in our hearts and mind?
- Where are you in staying in the path of purity?
Consider the ways of the Lord
We recognize the authority of Jesus in our lives, in the same way we recognize the authority of the Holy Scripture. Our sinful nature tells us to be independent and not involve God in the process of our lives. Recognizing these, should bring us to humility and battle pride by considering the ways of the Lord.
- Do we easily rush into decisions without giving it a careful thought, prayer and consideration if it is pleasing or right to the Lord?
- Do we trust in the Lord and His ways?
Delight on the Word
Delighting is rejoicing, it is a whole hearted excitment and focus. It does not rush but rather enjoys the moment, celebrate the word allowing it to simmer to the deepest parts of our innermost being.
- Is our heart taking delight in the word? or does it feel more like an obligation or a routine?
- On the scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest where do you think are you in the delighting in the word?
Meditating, Considering the ways of the Lord and the Delighting of the word is never easy, however when we see it as a response to the grace we have received in Christ, the forgiveness of our sins, Salvation, the redemption and new life, it becomes motivating response.
Heavenly Father, As I start the year help me see more on you and less of me, Help me to grow in the knowledge of Christ and your word. Give a me heart that desires for you always. Encounter me as I delight in your words daily, expand my capacity to receive knowledge and wisdom from you. Help me to depend more in you and your ways. May my actions speaks loudest of your Lorship in my life. In Jesus name.